Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dyeing to get the perfect red

I was dj'ing a week ago @FLIRT!, a party that combines burlesque and dance music. I was playing electro swing, but there were also house, indie and disco dj's that night. And the combination worked! We had a fun night...

That wonderful vintage blouse i found while dumpster diving. It amazes me what people throw away. 
The black leather pencil skirt is a fleamarket find.

By the way, how do you like my hair colour? I've stopped using strong chemicals and started to use natural henna ( i used MacUrths henna but next time i might try something else). That shade of red is just what i wanted! I still have to practise a bit more to get the best result, but for the first time i think i did a pretty good job. I've stopped dyeing my hair nearly 3 months ago before my first henna experiment. (You can imagine how my hair looked with dark roots.. :D)

This picture below shows my natural hair colour. I'm 15 in this photo.

From left: Leena (my mothers cousin), Me and Maija (my cousin). You've seen Maija here before :)

The main reasons for me to stop dyeing my hair were the health risks.
(Research in Sweden suggested that chemicals found in colouring products might damage the immune system, triggering rheumatoid arthritis. Some chemicals have already been shown to cause bladder cancer. Source)

As you can see, my hair is not always in perfect order...haha! Dancing leads to messy hair, and sometimes to something else too... 
That hat is, ofcourse, a Fiona Timantti creation.

8 comments:

  1. what an interesting post !! that haircolour of yours is perfect !!and it's so shiny, too ! I always thought about starting to use henna, but I was told I should never use it on chemically dyed hair. my facourite shade of red would be the orange/copper tone that vivienne westwood has. you con't get that colour in our german drugstores....oh, well...serious world problems....you look truly stunning !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that shade of red--it's gorgeous! And that blouse is amazing, I can't believe someone just threw it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found that gorgeous blouse in a ... dumpster!? It's divine!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swoon your hair is gorgeous, I have to dye mine as have awful grey! That blouse is divine and I have been pining for a leather pencil skirt for ages. The hat is sheer brilliance xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read somewhere that Lucille Ball used to henna dye her hair. Anyway, your hair is beautiful, as always. I stopped coloring my hair with chemicals for the exact same reasons as you. It's been almost a year now since the last time and I'm not going back! My mixture comprises of henna, indigo, black tea & salt. The result is almost black. :) People have complimented my hair and been amazed when I've told them what I use to color it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirjoitan suomeksi,olen tavallinen suomalainen ja elänyt elämääni vuodesta 1947 lähtien.
    Oi miten pidin Blogistania ohjelmasta, jossa esiinnyit.
    Se tyyli,johon pukeuduit siinä, oli ja on hyvin kaunista. Pidän siitä erittäin paljon! En koskaan tykästynyt esimerkiksi 60 luvun tyyliin.
    Oli ihanaa kuulla, kun sanoit, että pidät kilteistä ihmisistä (etkö sanonutkin niin)! Minusta kovuus on aikansa elänyttä.
    Toivon, että jaksat siellä pääkaupungin pyörityksessä pitää pehmeät arvosi ja että sinun ei tarvitsisi kulkea joka lätäkön kautta, kuten eräs autokoulunopettaja neuvoi oppilastaan.
    Minulla ei ole omaa blogia. En ole uskaltautunut siihen. Tulen tänne vielä käymään.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments :)

    Kirsti: Kiitokset ihanasta kommentista ja kauniista sanoista, ne merkistsevät minulle paljon. Ja juu, kuten Dalai Lama sanoo: "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Ihan aina ei jaksa/pysty olla kiltti mutta siihen pyritään! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silläkin riskillä että tämä kommentti katoaa vanhojen postausten bittiavaruuteen :)... Itsekin vuosikausia punaiseksi värjänneenä ja juuri samaisesta syystä kemikaalisista väreistä luopuvana olisin halunnut kysellä taas kokemuksiasi hennasta (nyt kun aikaakin tästä postauksesta on kulunut). Itselleni suositeltiin Lushin kakkuhennaa (koesuortuva likoaa seoksessa para-aikaa!), onko siitä kokemuksia, vinkkejä tai onko tiellesi osunut muita luotettavia täydellisiä punasävyjä? (En luottaisi kenenkään muun kuin tyylikkään fellow redheadin mielipiteeseen ;)

    ReplyDelete

You can comment in English, tai suomeksi. Of just for fun, in deutsch!